A Boy whose Father was Blah Blah

Monday, September 27, 2010



The (f)Art of Storytelling is an interesting blog post about storytelling in gaming.



I’ve found that many of the games I might enjoy on a gaming level are not interesting to me on a storytelling level. And that I was spending a lot of time, essentially participating in stories that did not excite me or inform me or make me feel involved. And that this not only affected my immediate enjoyment but also my creative output.

The author, Landry Walker, is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his 2009 mini-series Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade, and is currently the writer of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold comic series and co-writer on The Incredibles comic series (Wikpedia).



I think he has a good point, saying Anything that you don’t need to advance your story? Cut it. But to cut it is simply a certain style of writing. You can find everything about it in this seminal book, of course: The Elements of Style.



I would argue, the brain simply doesn't need much to fill in the blanks and tell a story. So if you are a storyteller, don't bother with all the details of a story. Just give your listeners' brains some points of interest and let their brains do the storytelling for you.



There are some interesting comments as well.

About This Blog

This blog is a companion to the UX Storytellers project. You will find everything that's currently going on, what has happened so far and what is planned for the future.

Learn through storytelling

The best way to learn is through listening to stories. The best way to teach is through telling stories. Are you a UX Expert with stories to tell? We would love to hear your story.

Famous Quotes

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Rukeyser

There have been great societies that did not use the wheel, but there have been no societies that did not tell stories. Ursula K. LeGuin