Thursday, December 2, 2010
poynter.org has posted a nice list: 10 ways to find stories other journalists are missing.
Bringing diversity to our storytelling has to be an intentional act — one that requires strong leadership and coaching. Finding untold stories, covering hidden communities, making sure our source lists capture wide-ranging perspectives and experiences — these things don’t always happen naturally. Here are 10 steps that can help you coach for diverse storytelling.
Isn't that what we User Experience professionals do as well? Finding untold stories, covering hidden communities? Sounds familiar to me.
The points made in the above mentioned article are:
- Step out of your comfort zone.
- Find a guide.
- Accept the fact that you don’t always know what you don’t know.
- Understand your own filters.
- Be a diplomat.
- Break bread.
- Take the time. Then take some more.
- Invite folks into your newsroom.
- Travel for difference.
- Remind others that we’re pushing for accurate and complete coverage.
Take a look at the article to find out what's behind those bullet points.