Exploration of Service Ideas

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I am attending the Service Design Conference in Berlin (I have some pictures on my Blog).



Many presentations talk about - or do at least mention - storytelling. It's no wonder: if you are selling a non-haptic product, a service, it does help if you wrap a little story around it. And by selling I mean either to your customers or to your boss or colleagues (if you have to sell your idea to become a product).



You can't approach your boss and simply say "Listen, I have a good idea. I need 10k and 2 weeks and I build it for you."



Make a story out of it: "Listen, I was sitting in the park during lunch break when I saw two elderly people doing XYZ. I was fascinated. I began to look out for a simliar behaviour watching people walk by my park bench - and sure enough: in a certain situation they all seem to have this one pain point which I think we could adress like this ...



The website Storytelling Toolbox says about Storytelling:



The storytelling supports the exploration of the service idea. Through the use of simple words, the teller will illustrate the solution as it is a story.

So, when are you going to illustrate your next sollution with words?

About This Blog

This blog is a companion to the UX Storytellers project. You will find everything that's currently going on, what has happened so far and what is planned for the future.

Learn through storytelling

The best way to learn is through listening to stories. The best way to teach is through telling stories. Are you a UX Expert with stories to tell? We would love to hear your story.

Famous Quotes

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Rukeyser

There have been great societies that did not use the wheel, but there have been no societies that did not tell stories. Ursula K. LeGuin