"Watchmakers"
by Thomas Memmel

Friday, October 4, 2013


Since 1876, all the sons of the Memmel family have become watchmakers, goldsmiths or dispensing opticians. From an early age, I was raised to be a successor in our family business. However, I am all fingers and thumbs as regards a skilled trade. Of course, I tried to make up for my lack of talent at craftsmanship. As a teenager, for example, I spent the Easter holidays in an internship as a fitter and welder in a ball bearing factory. It was very exciting and informative; however, I did not turn into a talented fine motor skills person. I think it became clear about then that I would not become a master watchmaker.

As a twelve year old, I already thought that my Commodore 64 was way more exciting than welded joints and tools. I was already enthusiastic about microprocessors as a three year old. My parents tried in vain to get me rid of my pacifier and my cuddly blanket. Their tricks didn’t work until my Mum offered me a calculator as a bribe. She had set the course for the rest of my life. ...

Download the free UX Storytellers eBook to read the entire story.

(Image: Wikimedia)

About This Blog

This blog is a companion to the UX Storytellers project. You will find everything that's currently going on, what has happened so far and what is planned for the future.

Learn through storytelling

The best way to learn is through listening to stories. The best way to teach is through telling stories. Are you a UX Expert with stories to tell? We would love to hear your story.

Famous Quotes

The universe is made of stories, not atoms.
Muriel Rukeyser

There have been great societies that did not use the wheel, but there have been no societies that did not tell stories. Ursula K. LeGuin